Tuesday, March 29, 2011

First Things First



Hello.

I love blogs. They're so fun and inspiring.

That being said, let's get down to business. Can I get some sunshine? It's been raining for a week and a half where I live. It's absolutely saddening ... and maddening. Baby S has gone absolutely crazy these past few days, and I'm pretty sure it's because he can't get out and garden with Momma.

Speaking of gardening, prepare yourself. I'm going to be documenting my success (thinking positively) of growing an enormous container garden in the coming months. The kicker? I'm doing pretty much everything from seed because I'm impatient and want spring/summer to be here like ... now. So I figured I'd get my gardening fix by starting early with seeds. Any gardener will tell you, it's not so easy. There's pretty much a 100% failure rate for novice gardeners like myself. Oh well. I've got my little indoor greenhouses already planted, and I'm just waiting for sprouts to appear!

Want to know what I'm growing? You do? Perfect, because I'm going to tell you anyway. (Can you tell I'm excited?)

Tomatoes - Early Girl, Jet-Star Hybrid
Cucumber - Poinsett 76 (perfect for slicing AND pickling)
Squash - Good Old Dixie Squash (crooked neck)
Peppers - So far, I've got Habanero and Serrano Chile
Watermelon - Sugar Baby
Eggplant - Black Beauty
Arugula - Rocket
Baby Spinach - Can't remember the type. Oops.

harvest  465

In addition to my incredibly overambitious list of veggies, I have quite a herb garden going!

Lemon Basil, Sweet Basil, Mint, Cilantro (that looks like poopoo), and Lemon Thyme. Still wanting to add some Stevia, Rosemary, Dill, and Pineapple Sage.

And finally, I think this year I'm not as excited about flowers. Last year, for my very first Mother's Day, T built me the most beautiful flower beds. It was a whirlwind summer, and from what we can recall, most of our "shade plants" were lame. We did have an incredibly beautiful and exciting Banana Tree that lasted forever, but watching it die was really sad. T doesn't want to get attached again. ;)

Following the light
I did get some Sunflower seeds. I bought the Massive/Mammoth breed and some dwarf ones. I thought it would be really fun for Baby S to watch grow.

African Daisy
I also got some mixed color African Daisy seeds because I think they're cute.

I'm sure I'll get some petunias this year, too. I loved how hardy they were last year, although we didn't give them quite enough sun.

I just can't wait to make this new house my HOME. And as much love is in this home, and although all of our cups are full, having a beautiful oasis outside is so much needed for T and I to escape to with Baby S.





No comments: