Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The Forgotten Garden

Yesterday afternoon, Baby S and I took a little walk over to our old house to check on our "Forgotten Garden."

Last year, T and I planted a small handful of strawberry plants (Junebearing) and planted a few collard seeds. Not knowing much about gardening, we were absolutely stunned that our collards never thrived, and we didn't get any strawberries! What a shame!

After all of our pepper plants died, we pretty much forgot about out little garden. Here's what we discovered yesterday.


Do you know what those are? That's my forest of collard greens! They've flowered. They're actually pretty neat flowers. We cut them and put some in a vase on the breakfast table. They match perfect :)


We also found a HUGE patch of strawberries with more flowers than I could count. I will probably faint when I see my first strawberry. I remember as a little girl, my Grandma had a "Secret Garden" for me, which was a strawberry patch and some pretty flowers. I want to say they were daisies, but I can't recall exactly. I have my own little strawberry patch. I'm over the moon. Baby S LOVES him some strawberries, too. Hopefully I'll at least get a few decent-sized ones.

Last but definitely not least, I'm excited to say that ... I've had my first veggies sprout!!! My arugula were directly sown in one of my containers outside. Still waiting on my Baby Spinach, but just look at these little darlings!

Bad photo, I know. Maybe someday we'll invest in a nice digital camera. But until then, you get the picture.

On the baby front, Baby S has really hit a funk. I'm calling it the 11-month slump. He's fussy, cranky, clingy, won't eat and won't sleep. We're working our way through it, though. He needs Momma a lot, but I have to keep it in check. There's nothing worse than a spoiled baby, and I know that from experience!

He's got 5 teeth right now, and the last one in the set is coming through. I wondered if that had anything to do with it, but I don't think so. He hasn't been a hard teether.

Oh well. This too shall pass.

I'll leave you with a video of him on one of his better days.


Baby S loves the camera. T? Not so much.

-M

No comments: