Sunday, June 12, 2011

Finding My Niche

I've written and rewritten this entry in my head a million times.

How weird is this - I don't know what I love to do. 

These days, everyone is an artist.  Everyone is a blogger.  Everyone loves thrift stores, antique malls, and flea markets.  Everyone's home is decorated interestingly. 

Well, you know what?  I don't know where I fall.

Now that Saul is at the age where he is in constant need of correction and needs to really comprehend that just because he sees Mommy doesn't mean he has to be on my hip incredibly self-reliant, I have been trying to figure out what it is that I like to do when he's napping, the house is clean, and dinner is waiting to be cooked.  

I have no idea.  Usually read blogs and think about writing a post. 

I like painting ... but I'm really only good at copying something someone else has painted already.

I went through a jewelry-making phase ... but then feather earrings went out of style, so I became uninterested.

As weird as it sounds, I really, really love paper mache ... but since when has that ever been a useful craft? I mean OTHER than  the 4th grade science fair when you make the volcano replica with baking soda, vinegar, and red food coloring? 

I crochet ... and I can make a mean beanie or scarf ... but that's about it. 

I have absolutely no interest or know-how to do any sort of graphic design.

I draw and doodle a lot ... but I always draw the same stuff.

Photography is really, really, really neat, but I don't have a DSLR camera or any fancy editing software.

I sew occassionally ... but it's really hard and usually get discouraged halfway through the project and just forget to finish it ... 

Basically, I'm stuck.  I'm trying to find something that I really LOVE to do.  It makes me feel lazy.  I'm not particularly good at anything. 

It's frustrating.

But you know, I'm really good at being pregnant and having a baby.  I know, I know.  Seven feminists in California somewhere just spontaneously combusted.  But seriously.  I loved that.

However, I don't think Todd will go for being the next Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar.  In fact, I'll be lucky to get one more. 

Oh well.  I guess I'll just keep trying new things.  Crafting is a must (seems) for stay-at-home-mommas.  I think maybe I should detach from other blogs for a while to try to cultivate some deep-seated creativity, rather than compare and downgrade my own ideas to other women out there who, seemingly, have rainbows of creativity pouring out their ears, nose, and rear.

All in due time, I suppose. 

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm not a mom yet, nor am I pregnant, but I am planning on attempting to be so in the next year. But, I can relate. It does seem like every mom does the same things. And I seriously worry about what I will do with myself when I reach the point in motherhood that you seem to have reached. Take a break--you don't have to be creative and crafty like all the other moms. You should be creative in the way you are creative. Good luck finding your niche!

Renee said...

Hey! im not sure if your still interested in photography but if you are check out http://thepapermama.blogspot.com/
and also http://paperheartcamera.blogspot.com/
These blogs are awsum with heaps of ideas for newbies (i'm one too!)and you can often find free editing software links!! Don't even worry about the type of camera u have, some of the most amazing fotos are taken with normal everyday point and shoots!!