Tuesday, June 7, 2011

In My Element

I don't want you to think that my life is perfect. 

By all means, it's not.  My life is not all kisses, rainbows and butterflies.  Although it's not quite the opposite, it's a fair balance of kisses, tandrums, giggles, and crying to no end. 

 I know a lot of bloggers out there would love to have you think that their house is always immaculately cleaned, they always serve their family organic, gluten-free, no-sugar-added, "whole food" meals blessed by their loving hands, their children always get along and are never disrespectful, challenging or messy, and their marriage is straight out of a romance novel.  However, I will never lead you to believe such a thing about myself and my family.

But you know what?  We are happy.  Really, really happy.

 This time last year, life was a haze.  I don't mean that in a dark way, it's just that I had a newborn.  I was running on hardly any sleep (even though Saul was a really good sleeper) and my thoughts were consumed with this new, squirmy infant that was now in my complete care.  I didn't garden with Todd.  I didn't go places.  I didn't enjoy spring and summer, but with good reason - I had an newborn to enjoy!

Right now, I'm TOTALLY in my element.  Saul is a rough-and-tumble kid, and I'm loving every minute of mothering him. 

I can't explain it.  I think it's because of my own childhood summers, but I feel like a SUPER mom when I get to put Calamine Lotion on his bugbites.  He is just too cute with those chalky, pink/white dots all over his arms and legs. 

I love making ham and cheese sandwiches for lunch and cutting them up for him to enjoy.  Watermelon.  Strawberries.  Apple Juice.  All the flavors of summer.  I can't wait to let him take a bite out of a good, sweet, juicy tomato sandwich.

As I mentioned last week, we took him to the park a couple times and let him yell at the ducks while we threw the ball with Colston.  He wasn't the biggest fan of the baby swing.  That's okay, though.

Yesterday, we took him to a splash & play water park in my town.  I cannot express to you how much that child loved being absolutely drenched with chlorine-water in his hair and eyes.  He was squealing his wonderful little squeal as I ran through baby waterfalls with him. 

Although my little life is far from perfect, I think that makes it pretty perfect.  As summer begins, I am absolutely overwhelmed with the love that is and the fun that is to be had. As much as I want to add another little one to our family, I am so glad to be present in this first taste of summer with my son.  I am so thankful for every single moment I get to watch him experience the wonderful life that God has created for him.  Everything is so new and exciting for him, and I guess it's the same for me.

Oh, my gosh.  I love being a mom.  Seriously.



No comments: