Sunday, June 26, 2011

Oh My Gross

Check out what we found on one of our tomato plants yesterday ...


This is the dreaded Tobacco Horn Worm

This little guy is HUGE.  It literally startled us once we saw it.  It's probably the most disgusting and interesting thing I've ever seen.  Seriously. the only bug that I've ever seen that's larger is a spider that was on the windshield of my car once.  That thing scared me to death.  I think it had to do with something about being a female; bugs are just too creepy. 

Anyway, one of these suckers can devour an entire tomato plant in a matter of days. We suspect he's also been munching on our little watermelons that were growing next to the tomato plant we found him on. 

Here it is next to Todd's finger just to show you how LARGE this fella' is. 

Also, we found out that having just TWO TO THREE in your garden means you're infested.  Holy Moly.  I've had Todd searching for any traces of others.  My dad said they'll eat your whole garden if you're not careful. 

Todd and I were talking about this last night.  Over the course of the past two years (mostly, this year), we have learned so so soooo much about gardening.  It's so fun learning about things that you otherwise never would have.  We already know about a ton of garden pests, diseases, fungi, watering habits, fertilizers, and vegetable growth patterns and cycles.  God, in Himself, is so vast.  He created everything so intricately and perfect.  It's so amazing to watch things grow.  It's absolutely glorious. 

2 comments:

marissa said...

That bug is all kinds of creepy! Blegh!

marissa said...

Also? I'm officially back in the blog world. Which means you're about to get a million comments from me. Duh.