Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Lunchtime Rut

A few weeks ago, I ran into a real lunch rut.

It was after church one day, when Todd was complaining about how often I go to the grocery store for ham. "Are ham & cheese sandwiches the ONLY thing a little boy can eat for lunch every day?!!" he whines.

I said, "Yes, for now," and jumped on my blackberry while he was inside getting the goods. I started searching the interwebz for toddler-friendly lunch ideas.

That, my friends, is when I discovered the awe and wonder of wheat wraps.



As much as I wish my son's lunch looked like that, it doesn't.  I tried to take a photo of his lunches, and sadly, it was kinda ugly.  Real ugly, actually.  As you can imagine, in the hands of a 16-month-old, a "wrap" doesn't stay "wrapped" really long.  But I know blog readers, and you'll all have a heart attack if you don't have a picture to break up long, written word.

Some of Saul's favorites include:

Wheat Wrap (cut in half)
Leftover Black Beans & Rice 
Turkey
Avacado

Wheat Wrap (cut in half)
Garlic Hummus
Blackforest Ham
Shredded Motzerella Cheese 
(I know I'm kinda mixing my cultures on that one, but he really likes it, so whatev)

Wheat Wrap (Cut in half)
A small amount of Cheddar Jack 
Boiled Chicken seasoned with Smoked Paprika 
Toasted until cheese melts for a Baby Quesadilla 

Wheat Wrap (Cut in half) 
1 egg - scrambled
1-2 leaves Fresh Basil 
A few hunks of cream cheese 
(In our house, this is called "Special Eggs" - for Saul, a baby breakfast burrito!)


And his all-time favorite 
Wheat Wrap (cut in half)
1/2 Creamy Peanut Butter
1/2 Nutella
1/2 Banana 
(Cut in half and wrapped length-ways in wrap) 

Since we aren't crazy about jumping on the pb&j train until we HAVE to, the last one is served as a snack if he's good ... aka If I need an excuse to eat Nutella. 

I hope this helps out some other toddler mommas that get stuck in the lunch rut.  It's a baaad place to be, y'all! Freshen it up for the little ones!




1 comment:

marissa breanna said...

It's kind of sad that a toddler is a better eater than me. Womp womp!